Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Ethical Living

For the longest time I have been wondering about how to live a better life, or be a better person. I have asked myself if my actions cause more damage to the "world" than pleasure to me or my loved ones. And I have tried to change my faulty ways if I caught myself in the wrong (again, being your own moral police tends to be a heavy burden even though it does give you a sense of freedom).
Of course, this does not mean (by far!) that I am not doing harmful things anymore, from being mean to people (hmmmm, sorry y'all), to not donating money to worthy causes. I am constantly wondering though where to draw the line, when it is moral enough, how far should I push it... If I eat eggs, do I still support the industry that keeps the poor chicken in crowded cages? How responsible am I if the bank where I keep my meager account uses my money in oil investments?
At least I am not the only one asking herself about these issues. I have been following Leo Hickman's feuilleton in the Guardian for some time now and I see how on the whole there are thousands of little simple ways in which our lives can be more ethical. I think he's a pretty down to earth ordinary individual who makes an effort to be more environment friendly without an "extreme makeover". Here it is where you can check out his series of articles on Ethical Living: http://money.guardian.co.uk/ethicalliving/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't care too much about the chicken in the cages and the industry behind it. Thank god this is the European Union where from 2009 on 'cage-battery-keeping' will be completely banned. ;)

Anonymous said...

Too manny problems in this little head of yours!!! You are so young for this problems, you must live your life without those problems.

Anonymous said...

Allways take the best part in life!

Anonymous said...

You are too sensible!Don't look at the dark side of life, be positive!