Monday, March 21, 2005

Film/Music: The Last Waltz

Yesterday evening I saw the music documentary about the last concert of The Band, a rather famous classic rock group of the late 1960s and early 70s. The film, entitled "The Last Waltz" was directed by Martin Scorsese and included besides large chunks of the concert itself some interviews with The Band's members. The most interesting part is that no one was the leader of the group; everyone, including the drummer, would be singing and even be the lead vocal - a true commune spirit :)

The music was pretty good, heavily influenced by country, bluegrass and blues - it got you going! The list of guests counted names like Joni Mitchell (I don't know why I never got to like her, really), Eric Clapton, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison (who looked like a piglet), Bob Dylan (in his very Christian phase), Dr. John (a guy dressed like a clown but who sure knew how to play the piano), Emmylou Harris (I barely recognized her), and Neil Young (looking kinda stoned, if you ask me).

Overall, I enjoyed very much the music but would have preferred to get more talking out of The Band members.

1 comment:

Christian John Wikane said...

"The Last Waltz" is still on my "to watch" list. My friends Elizabeth and Jason are huge fans of The Band so they've always encouraged me to catch the film when possible. Myself, I'm a huge fan of Joni Mitchell so I'd be interested to see her perform "Coyote." Dr. John I've seen in concert and he's quite the tickler of the ivories...an exceptional musician. I've always enjoyed documentaries about music so I'll be sure to sit down with "The Last Waltz" sooner than later. I'm glad you saw it Anamaria!